Skip to main content

Hillary Clinton sat down last week with KLRU public television in Austin to discuss her thoughts on the Michigan and Florida delegate situation.  She stated that she would press to seat the Michigan and Florida delegates, while dismissing the primary votes of Texans as irrelevant to the Democratic general election strategy.

Think I'm kidding?  See for yourself:

Here is a transcript:

Host: Finally, the Michigan and Florida delegation, speaking of the primaries. There's been a lot of talk about what your campaign would do should it get to the convention. Would you committ today to honoring the agreement made earlier to not to seat the Michigan and Florida delegation in the way that had been discussed?

Clinton: Well, let's talk about the agreement.  The only agreement I entered into was not to campaign in Michigan and Florida. It had nothing to do with not seating the delegates, and I think that's an important distinction. I did not campaign in either.

Host: The press seems to have missed that distinction if that's the case because the talk is that you agreed not to seat the delegation.

Clinton: That is not the case at all. I signed an agreement not to campaign in Michigan and Florida. Now the DNC made the determination that they would not seat the delegates but I was not party to that. And I think it's important for the DNC to ask itself "Is this really in the best interest of our eventual nominee?" We do not want to be disenfranchising Michigan and Florida. We have to try to carry both of those states. You know, I'd love to carry Texas but it's usually not in the electoral calculation for the Democratic nominee. Florida and Michigan are. And therefore, the people of those two states disregarded  adamantly the DNC's decision that they would not seat the delegates. They came out and voted. Now, if they had been influenced by the DNC - despite the fact that there was very little campaigning, if any - they would've stayed home. But they wanted their voices heard. More than 2 million people came out.  I mean, it was record turnout for a primary.  And Florida in particular is sensitive to being disenfranchised, because of what's happened to them in the last few elections. I have said I would ask my delegates to vote to seat Michigan and Florida.

Host: So your intention is to press this issue?

Clinton: Yes it is. And you know, it's in large measure because both the voters and the elected officials in Michigan and Florida feel so strongly about this and, you know, Senator Bill Nelson of Florida, early on in the process, actually sued because he thinks this is absurd on it's face, that 1.7 million Democrats who eventually voted would be just basically, you know, disregarded, and I agree with him about that.

I do agree with one thing: Michigan and Florida deserve to seat their delegates.  But I adamantly disagree with Hillary's accusation that this is the DNC's fault. It is not the DNC's fault that the Michigan and Florida delegations are in limbo. Unfortunately for the voters, their state parties broke the rules.  And they broke the rules knowing the consequences.  There have been several ideas discussed which would resolve this issue, including splitting the delegates between Clinton and Obama or holding caucuses.  This problem will eventually be resolved and the delegates will be allocated and seated. That's not my main issue here.

My main issue is Hillary saying this: "You know, I'd love to carry Texas but it's usually not in the electoral calculation for the Democratic nominee."

That, my friends, demonstrates everything that is wrong with the Clinton general election strategy.  It's cherry picking. It's saying some states matter and some states don't.  It's saying that we are going to cede entire states - nay, entire regions - to the Republican party. It's telling us that a Clinton general election campaign would return to that oh-so-successful strategy of competing in "swing states" while ignoring everyone else. It is saying to Howard Dean, the DNC, the grassroots, and everyone who believes in the 50 state strategy that we are naive morons who are wasting precious resources trying to compete in "red" America.

Well I have a message for Senator Clinton. There is no red America.  An Obama general election campaign will demonstrate that every voter counts.  We will not ignore entire regions.  We will go after every voter, from those in "blue" New York to those in "red" Idaho. We will not claim that some states matter more than others, but rather, that all states are equally valued and respected.  We will not say to Republicans and Independents that they can't join our movement for change, but rather, we will welcome them with open hearts and open arms.

We have heard from Hillary herself (see this youtube video) that we need 60 votes in the Senate to overcome a Republican filibuster. For a moment, let's take this at face value.  The Clinton strategy of cherry picking where to campaign will absolutely ensure that we will not achieve that goal.  How in the world can Senator Clinton claim we need 60 votes while campaining as if only certain states matter? Does she not get it?? The Obama strategy of competing everywhere will ensure that his coattails are long, and that we will have a much better chance of achieving the supermajority required to pass progressive legislation over Republican objections and obstructionism. With an Obama campaign, every state will be a swing state.

Look, I respect Hillary Clinton.  She is an intelligent, accomplished woman who would make a fine President.  But she is being incredibly ill-served by her campaign team.  If Terry McAwful, Maggie Williams, and all the other top brass on Team Hillary have deluded themselves into thinking that this is a good strategy, well fine, keep going and run your campaign into the ground. On March 4, Texas will finally put the nail in the coffin of that campaign and we'll all finally be able to set our sights on crazy John McCain.

So let's do this.  I implore everyone around the country to help us win Texas. I know we can do it with your help! Make calls today. Donate. Spread our message of hope and change.  And let's not forget our friends in Vermont, Ohio, and Rhode Island.  Obama volunteers on the ground in these four states are giving everything they can and putting huge amounts of time, blood, sweat, tears, and energy into this campaign.  Let's March 4th together!  YES WE CAN. SI, SE PUEDE!

Originally posted to anna on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:17 AM PST.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  tips for the 50 state strategy! (28+ / 0-)

and for the fact that i managed to write a substantive diary before my morning coffee.

speaking of which, i'm going to go grab some coffee.  i'll be back to check the comments in 10-15 minutes.

YES WE CAN!

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:17:57 AM PST

•  Hillary's best shot at getting her agenda passed (5+ / 0-)

is to step aside and let Barack Obama's coat-tails pull Rick Noriega and a bunch of other fine down-ticket Democrats into Congress.

•  50 states strategies usually include (0+ / 0-)

Florida and Michigan.

So maybe you should amend that to 48 states strategy.

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:29:07 AM PST

•  Don't worry (0+ / 0-)

Once Clinton is effectively out of the race, MI and FL will be seated.

"The era of Scooter Libby justice, Brownie incompetence and Karl Rove politics will finally be over this year" Reject Marc Rich justice and Mark Penn politics.

by IhateBush on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:39:24 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  So 50* state strategy (0+ / 0-)
          * We don't recognize them until it's safe because Clinton won't win.

Gotcha!

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:43:59 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I'm proud to say (0+ / 0-)

that I probably vote for the Democratic ticket if Clinton is on it.  Period.  I support Obama, but if Clinton is VP, then I will be unable to vote for the ticket.

by IhateBush on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:48:20 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I'm glad we agree there. (0+ / 0-)

We disagree on Florida, though. I'm probably still going to vote Obama or Clinton.

If they're smart, they'll replace that "or" with a slash.

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:50:23 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  We strongly disagree actually (0+ / 0-)

I said that I won't vote for the ticket if Clinton is on it.  Even if it is Obama/Clinton.

by IhateBush on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:52:25 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Oh, ok. Then I strongly disagree with you. (1+ / 0-)
                  anna

Though your post reads:

that I probably vote for the Democratic ticket if Clinton is on it.

I'll vote for both of them. They both have great ideas. I just happen to favor Clinton's right now. If she should lose, it's a brilliant move for Obama/Clinton. Should she win, it's a brilliant move for Clinton/Obama.

I don't support just one candidate, but I do support good ideas and good plans.

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:55:58 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I don't support one candidate (0+ / 0-)

but I do strongly oppose bad ones.  Those like Joe W Lieberbush, or those who run Karl Rove/Mark Penn campaigns.

The fact that Hillary Clinton could never fire a degenerate creature like Mark Penn to me suggests that she doesn't have the judgment to be in public office.

In comparison, Al Gore fired him within 2 weeks.

by IhateBush on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:00:34 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I won't presume to know why she hasn't. (0+ / 0-)

I'm not given information about her decisions. Penn is, indeed, an idiot.

I refuse, however, to think this reflects on her judgment as a whole. All of us have made bad decisions.

Obama (do NOT attack me here) made a horrible decision in his youth with drugs. Does that mean his decision is always destroyed? I cannot say "No!" loud enough. He grows. He changes. He learns.

The same holds true for Clinton, regardless of Penn's employment.

And this is nothing like Rove's black baby, gay McCain calls. This doesn't even begin to touch the top layer of that Rove tactic.

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:04:59 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  The distinction being. (0+ / 0-)

A "mistake" in the past versus an ongoing real time fully supported "mistake".  Frankly, I care less about the mistake in the past IF that is a mistake that leads to learning.

I also put a little more weight around a "mistake" that directly impacts the core of the job - how one chooses their staff is pretty important in my eyes.  Not that I expect perfection but I expect a candidate to recognize the obvious and to be able to state - that is a mistake now it is time to correct.  Hasn't happened with the Clinton campaign.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:26:08 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  florida and michigan WILL COUNT (1+ / 0-)
        jrooth

i have no doubt that somehow a compromise solution will be found.

rest assured, i hold no animosity towards the voters in FL/MI.  in fact i am a native floridian so this situation is personal for me.

i know this sucks, but the state parties fucked up.  it's not the voters or the DNC's fault.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:44:35 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Well, it is sort of the DNC's fault. (0+ / 0-)

They made the rule to begin with. Republicans, for once in their existence, were less stupid. They merely slashed delegates, they didn't slash and BURN delegates.

I think Florida should be brought in now. I'm sorry to Obama folks, but that one was fair. Take out some delegates if it makes everything better, but bring them back.

Michigan...we should come up with some scheme. Though Obama was boneheaded to remove his name, that poll can't be exactly fair. I think we should still, somehow, recognize Clinton's votes there at that time. We can't just say "Do over", watch Obama win, then point and laugh at Hillary.

It's a mess. I think the DNC and the state parties hold equal blame for this one, and they should get together and do SOMETHING.

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:53:35 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Did you bother to read the diary? (1+ / 0-)
        anna

Thank you Senator Dodd!

by jrooth on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:46:15 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  My comment was a mixture: (0+ / 0-)

In reply to the inflammatory headline then the ensuing text which makes it sound like Clinton hates states and voters. I patently deny that.

To illustrate that point, I wanted to show that we DON'T have 50 state strategies. You cannot in any election.

Obama certainly didn't go to Alaska. I know full well that Hillary Clinton didn't go to Hawaii. Neither came to Arkansas.

You have to pick and choose your battles in these elections. That doesn't mean the candidates hate states.

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:58:51 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  In Texas, it's (2+ / 0-)
      anna, jrooth

a "254-county strategy"!

Torture is Wrong!

by tom 47 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:39:21 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I don't count! (9+ / 0-)

Hooray for not counting!

Wait a second, I'm an accountant, I have to count!

Maybe I should find another profession, something that really doesn't count...

I know, I could run for Congress as a DLC democrat.  They are on verge of extinction, surely nobody counts less than them.

•  The lying little lying liar! (5+ / 0-)

"I only agreed to not campaign in Florida..."

Please. This really has to stop.

Every day's another chance to stick it to The Man. - dls.

by The Raven on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:23:00 AM PST

•  I am sick and tired of Hillary and (3+ / 0-)
      anna, The Raven, Wild Starchild

her shills (Craig Crawford) whining about us poor disenfranchised Florida voters that will stay home in November if the "beauty contest" isn't handed over to her immediately. It is pure bullshit!  The only people that felt the overwhelming need to send in their early ballots, since mid-December, or to vote were the unprecedented numbers of "Seniors" and long-term homeowners, since 1992, that got huge tax reductions from the "Property Tax Amendment" on the ballot that passed with 63%!           Hillary will get her ass kicked in Florida vs. McCain and I feel very comfortable that Obama will beat McCain handily, once Obama starts campaigning and hitting our college campuses.  We have tons of disenfranchised "Independents" and moderates already "on board" to happily vote for Obama in November.  Hillary is a "Hell No".

President Obama..."right" from day one

by mjd in florida on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:42:14 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  One, this is an old story (2+ / 0-)
    DFWmom, pamelabrown

Two, she merely stated a fact, that the Dem nominee doesn't win Texas. She was touching on the fact that not having a real race in Florida and Michigan will hurt the Dem nominee--another fact.

Here's a suggestion for the Hillary-bashers, if you want to go after her, pick a real topic, like vote against banning the use of cluster bombs in civilian areas.

Enough with the stupid kitchen sink anti-Clinton strategy.

•  I don't get it...where's the dis of TX? eom (0+ / 0-)
    •  Maybe it's her droning on and on about MI & FL (2+ / 0-)
      anna, Wild Starchild

Watching it you feel she's on Meet the Press, or in DC, or somewhere where she would naturally speak about national politics.

But instead, she's sitting in the middle of TX going on and on about how important MI & FL voters are.

That seems offputting, but maybe that's just me.

•  I can't wait to watch the returns come in (3+ / 0-)
    anna, Captain Nimrod, Wild Starchild

What's a drink that says "Texas"? I can't get any Lone Star beer north of the Red River.

Tequila?

"There is nothing I hate more than a bad argument for an idea I admire." --- Anon.

by droogie6655321 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:26:50 AM PST

•  I am really curious (5+ / 0-)

to see the results of the GE with Obama as the head of the ticket.

With the astounding turnouts in states like Idaho at Obama events, I'm thinking there will be a lot of purple states that no one was dreaming about.

Himself said it:  "there is only the UNITED States of America".

•  You better adjust your expectations (0+ / 0-)

and get real. It'll come down to Ohio and a few other states.

Idaho? Come on.

•  i disagree respectfully (1+ / 0-)
        Wild Starchild

i know folks in idaho and basically, idahoans are open minded to obama.  i heard from tons of folks who caucused that they had pubs and indys show up who really liked obama.  they caucused for him and plan on voting for him in november.  they will not support hillary.

i am sure that other states will look at obama with an open mind.  look, the bottom line is that half the country irrationally hates hillary.  she starts 10-15 points down in several states when speaking of the GE.  obama does not.

many states that traditionally are not in play will be in play w/obama at the top of our ticket.  and that bodes well for our down-ticket dems.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:49:14 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Obama is a gamble (1+ / 0-)
      anna

I think either he wins big or loses big.  The only way he loses big, IMO, is either if there is some scandal/smear we have not heard about, or if Obama is effectively painted as an incompetent unqualified candidate akin to W. I find the latter to be unlikely.

by IhateBush on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:38:37 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  The going is going to get rough (0+ / 0-)

Any candidate looks like a supercandidate compared to Bush!

Everyone talks about how rough Clinton has been on Obama, but she's had her gloves on in a way that the Republicans will not.  The Republicans don't have to worry about alienating the more liberal Democrats.  When the general election gets going, the Republicans will start pounding on Obama.   Then, we'll see how he does.  We've learned from the past that the charges don't have to be accurate.  They just have to be repeated loudly enough, often enough, without the candidate mounting an effective defense.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

•  The one difference is that (1+ / 0-)
          Wild Starchild

some of these attacks on Obama may backfire hard.  The Rethugs can pound on him, but there is no guarantee that their punches will connect.  They may connect, but they may backfire big time.  That's the advantage with a charismatic candidate like Obama.

by IhateBush on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 08:05:55 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I disagree with you about FL and MI (6+ / 0-)

The elections in both states were bogus, and to count the delegates would be a travesty.

Speaking as a Florida voter, the Florida election was completely bogus.  The voters in Florida were told their votes wouldn't count, so that surely affected the outcome.  Also, there was NO campaign in Florida.  No candidates visiting the state; no local media coverage of the candidates addressing issues of interest to the state; no debate in the state; no ads in the state. Candidates spend time and money in states because it makes a difference in the outcome of elections, and none of that happened in Florida.  I would be outraged if the Florida votes were counted "as is."

As for Michigan, Obama's name wasn't even on the ballot. 'nuff said.

•  Arkansas had the same problem. (2+ / 0-)
      anna, mjd in florida

Neither candidate came here for campaigning. There wasn't a lot of local press coverage. Absolutely no ground movement from either candidate.

No one spent time here.

Oh, but we...count Arkansas. Hmmm.

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:45:13 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Arkansas followed the rules (2+ / 0-)
        anna, Wild Starchild

BTW, I'm in Florida, so I certainly wish this hadn't been screwed up to the point my vote doesn't count - but there it is.  We held a beauty contest.

I'll live to fight another day.

Thank you Senator Dodd!

by jrooth on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:58:09 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Isn't the point. (0+ / 0-)

The point is that the logic here is flawed against Florida.

Florida's voters didn't break any rules, but they suffer the consequences. Then the logic for not letting them back NOW is that Obama didn't get to campaign there.

My point is that this logic is flawed. Obama didn't go to many states, so that's not really a good reason to ignore Florida or redo the vote.

And I certainly don't buy the line of "rules are rules!" Why? New Hampshire and Iowa moved theirs up too. The DNC didn't slap them with no delegates.

"Without alienation, there can be no politics" ~ Arthur Miller

by jwalker13 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:01:31 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  the rules are (0+ / 0-)

that NH and iowa get to go first.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:05:10 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Yeah, I didn't personally break any rules (1+ / 0-)
            Wild Starchild

but my state and my state party did.  Do I like it? No.  But I was well aware of it when I voted. I know others who didn't bother because they knew their vote wouldn't count.

So there it is.  There's no good answer for this clusterfuck.  Our votes can not count, or we can all of a sudden decide they're going to count even though at the time they were cast we were all fully convince they didn't.

I'm no fan of the current process.  I think the preeminence of Iowa and New Hampshire is BS and what we ought to have is four regional primaries in rotating order.  But you have to have some process or all you have is chaos.  And I really don't see why dumping the process mid-way is in any way preferable to sticking with it.

Thank you Senator Dodd!

by jrooth on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:19:44 AM PST

•  Bingo. (2+ / 0-)
              jrooth, Wild Starchild

Like it or not the State party leaders represent the FL voters in the matter.  Don't like how they decided to do things - perhaps the heat should be on them for making a bad decision.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:33:13 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Not a big fan of the primary system (0+ / 0-)

Selecting a nominee is by and large Party business, the cost of which is foisted upon the tax payer. One of the unintended consequences of further limiting 3rd party access to the process.

•  point taken (0+ / 0-)

but i still feel we have to find a compromise.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:02:47 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Who gets delegates from Undecided (0+ / 0-)

in Michigan? Wasn`t it over 40%? Or is Mich a winner take all state?

" Resistance is NOT futile, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling." Wino

by Wino on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:23:03 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Brick by brick (2+ / 0-)
    anna, Wild Starchild

As Barack says, brick by brick, block by block, city by city, states by states before we can take back our country.  Ok, we may not get every city or every state, but if we fight for every office, we will win some and we may elect some new members of Congress from those (red) cities and states.   Hillary has destroyed her MOJO.  She could have recovered it earlier in the campaign, but instead she refuse to listen to the voters.  After her first lost, the message was clear.  The voters are not looking for experiences, the want something different, but she refused to listen and kept on repeating the same line of 35 years of experiences.    Yes she is experience no one is disputing that...but so was Dodd, Biden, Richardson and Edwards and as a matter of fact so was GWB.  Remember, GWB was a governor, a businessman (laughable) and his dad was a President.  He too has some White House experience, just like Hillary and GWB proves that experiences alone don’t make a good President.  Barack judgment on the war and now during this election cycle proves he has what it takes to lead.   Hillary in the meant time is still grasping to find the right message or her MOJO.

"It is not sexism at all, it is Clintonism" (Vera Lofaro; Daily Kos, 25FEB2008)

by jamaicanblood on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:54:18 AM PST

•  Is Texas going to go Dem in the general? (1+ / 0-)
    anna

No beef with the diary.  Just curious to know if there is a poll out there showing that Texas will go blue in the general election.

•  Clinton's problem & Florida (0+ / 0-)

She may be right, but she did not give a damn until the vote was taken. If she wanted to show leadership she would have brought it up 6 months ago.

I really feel Florida ought to be seated. The Florida legislature sets the primary dates. Rs control that body, they moved the primary date up. I do place some blame on Dean. He should have never let this to come to this.

•  we disagree on 1 thing: I don't respect hillary (0+ / 0-)

The Democrats in 2008 are fighting over the soul of their Party, and so far the pro-soul side is losing.

by Zacapoet on Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 08:16:33 AM PST

•  A state is only relevant (0+ / 0-)

if Hillary carries it, apparently.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site