Skip to main content

This is going to be short and sweet.  Everyone in this community who's flailing around like this the end of Obama's campaign needs to get a fucking grip.

There have already been several excellent diaries detailing exactly why we shouldn't panic, but it seems that some people around here are insisting that Rev. Wright is purposefully and maliciously hogging the spotlight and destroying Obama's chances to end this primary.  That's bullshit.

(note: with apologies to Jeff Lieber for stealing his graphic)

Everyone take a deep breath and realise this:  for over a year, the media, the Clinton campaign (and the other campaigns that have fallen by the wayside), the GOP, and FAUX "news" have been desperately searching for a way to stop Obama.

They think they've found it in Rev. Wright. And judging by the overreactions of some in this community, it seems that the forces behind the stop Obama movement may have finally found what they're looking for: a wedge to drive apart Obama's coalition.  That is, after all, what they have been so desperately searching for.

Clinton's coalition consists largely of white women +50 and undereducated working class whites.  Obama's coalition is diverse in age, income, education, and color. The two coalitions are already wedged apart, thanks largely to the racist tactics and entitled attitude displayed by Team Clinton thus far.

So what's left?  How can they win?  Well, they do what they've always done: they play on our worst fears with the intent of destroying our coalition.

Think about it.  What better way to drive a wedge right into the heart of Obama's coalition than to push the idea that Rev. Wright - who brought Obama to faith and God - is a "whackadoodle" black separatist who resents white people and hates America and Jews?  What better way to wedge us apart than to play on our ignorance (that is, ignorance of what goes on in many churches across the country)?  And what's pathetic about this is that many of you are falling for it!  You are letting them get the best of us.

Are you really going to allow the asshole stenographers at FAUX news, MSNBC (yes, they are on my shit list now), the Clintons, John McSame, or anyone else to drive a wedge right down our collective middle?  Are you going to allow the fearmongers to create so much mistrust amongst our coalition that it falls apart before we reach the finish line?  Seriously???

If so, then perhaps this coalition was never very strong to begin with.

But frankly, I am not ready to give up.  We only have a few more weeks of this shit and it's over.  It may already be "over" per the numbers, but in mid-June, it's over for really reals.  I didn't spend a month busting my ass for 80+ hours per week at home/school/Obama offices in Texas to see this all go to pot over some bullshit smears and lies.  I didn't shout myself hoarse at rallies, lose my voice canvassing and phonebanking, and put my faith in this coalition only to see it crumble because of some stupid wedge issue (and mark my words, religion is a wedge issue) that has no bearing on whether we can end this war, pay for an education, have access to affordable health care, or buy food and gas.

Those of you who continue to act like Chicken Littles are letting the coalition down, period. Realise that they are using you - playing on your ignorance and emotions - to destroy this campaign and wedge us apart.  Once you realise that, you should be able to brush that dirt off your shoulder and MOVE ON.  So stop your whining, SYFPH, and get back to work.

update:  One more thing, just to be clear.  I am in no way saying "ignore this issue".  Nah, ignoring things lost Kerry the election.  Lesson learned.  I'm saying that we deal with it, but don't kill each other while we do so, and don't let all the other issues fall by the wayside because we are distracted by a wedge issue.  Thanks for reading.

Originally posted to anna on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:07 AM PDT.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  I recc'd this diary! let's fight hard instead of (14+ / 0-)

fighting each other here.

What's madness but nobility of the soul at odds with circumstance?

by slinkerwink on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:10:27 AM PDT

•  arg (9+ / 0-)

i am so done with this shit.

if i'd had a pastor like wright when i was younger, i probably would not be an athiest.  the man speaks truth to power.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:10:29 AM PDT

•  Much better. (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    anna, From a distance, montecristo

All the damn handwringing is getting on my nerves (not you, anna; just dKos in general).

Just a heads up, you left off the final "H" in the title.

•  I'm tired of everybody telling me to SMFPH (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    anna

I'm not panicking, I'm telling things as I see them.
    I refuse to gloss over bad news just because people don't want to hear it.
    This exactly the kind of attitude that gave us Bush in 2004.

If there's a problem face it, find a solution to it and if you can't then accept it and move on. But never never ignore it.

Obama is NOT losing my support, and that is exactly why I worry for him.

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. William Shakespeare

by notquitedelilah on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:15:38 AM PDT

•  then explain (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      slinkerwink

how do you see things?
      how do you see this playing out?
      how do we - as a community of obama supporters - get past this and stop firing at each other?
      how do we flip this shit on it's head?

i sincerely want to know, especially from those who are so concerned about wright.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:17:03 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  and one more thing (4+ / 0-)

i am NOT saying ignore it.  that's fucking dumb, and exactly what killed kerry.

i am saying that we deal with it, but we don't let ourselves get so wrapped up in this that everything else falls by the wayside.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:17:50 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  We deal with the problem that's faing him (3+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        anna, slinkerwink, From a distance

at this moment by making calls. Phonebanking Indiana and NC, Volunteering to canvass, sending emails, writing letters to newspapers Taking about issues.

But in doing all that we must have a consensus of what Wright means to the people. He is Obama's Pastor and has been for 20 years, yes his actions recently have left a lot to be desired (acknowledgment) .
        He is not however Obama.

by notquitedelilah on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:24:57 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  i do not disagree (2+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          slinkerwink, notquitedelilah

in fact your statement about making the calls and doing LTEs is exactly right on the money.

sure, we have to have a consensus of what wright means to people, but coming to that consensus seems to be tearing us apart.  sad, IMO.

and really, when it comes right down to it, we can't let this tear us apart - no matter how vehemently we agree or disagree about the impact of this issue.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:28:21 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Why must we have a consensus on Wright? (0+ / 0-)

As you conclude, he is NOT Obama, the candidate we support.  There is no reason to waste our time trying to come to consensus on Rev Wright and frankly I don't think it's possible.  We come from different backgrounds and experiences and will never view Rev Wright the same way.  IT DOES NOT MATTER!  He is NOT Obama and they do not share the same views.  So let's quit wasting our time on this and get back to work.

•  Solutions (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      anna, sbdenmon, notquitedelilah

In my opinion, the only solution is to keep going.  Yeah, Wright is a problem.  But honestly, I really can't gage how big of a problem he is in the long run. I'm not going to go crawl into the corner and weep over it.  There's a shit-load of dirt on McCain out there.  It needs to be pushed into the media.  Remember how bloggers pushed back on Clinton's silly "sniper fire" stories?  It found its way into the mainstream media.  I don't want to wring my hands over Wright.  The fact is that he's out there.  He can't be controlled by Obama.  Our energies are better spent on attacking rather than always letting the other side set the narrative and then taking up a defensive position. Change the narrative!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Ghandi

by Triscula on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:22:41 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Obama's campaign strategies have been (4+ / 0-)

astounding.  Not perfect, but astounding. I'm sure they're on to it, and working hard to do whatever is needed.  I know its hard not to worry, but the diarist is right, the level of anxt the last few days is a hindrance, not a help.  Contain that anxiety and channel into a donation; some phone banking; or convincing some friends. Far more productive :)

"Never argue with an idiot: They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - author unknown

by From a distance on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:22:45 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  look at my post above. (0+ / 0-)

that is exactly what I meant.
        I meant that I refuse to praise Wright and ignore that he is a huge problem.
        But because I admit that he is a problem I want to fix it by doing what I can.

by notquitedelilah on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:28:59 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  another question (0+ / 0-)

since you seem willing to discuss....

can you explain why you see wright as a problem, and tell me what you think the problem is?  i've seen so many opinions posted on the boards, and i'd like to know specifically what you mean by that.  do you think it's a bad idea that he's out there right now?  do you think he shouldn't have gone to the press club?

i fall on the "he's right" side of this argument, but i can certainly see how others might disagree.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:30:51 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  He has a right to defend himself certainly. (2+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            anna, Char

And he did that quite effectively on Bill Moyers.
            It certainly got a lot of play in the media, all the media. I'm in the Middle East and it even got coverage here.

However, The NAACP although a good speech on it's merrits..it moved me but I remember, as I was watching mimic Kennedy and Johnson, myself thinking "OMG, what is he doing? why is he doing it?"
            Again in the NAACP he called Obama a politician, a statement that was extensively covered by the media post PBS; He new that so why did he use the same words again to explain Obama's comments re. him in the speech on race.

Fine that's done. Surely the man has had ample chance to speak his mind. But Noooooooo, the very next day he appears again. Giving a speech which I believe was much better than the NAACP speech, and I breath..
            Come he Q&A session and he completely loses the plot.

He called Obama again a Politician (3rd time), but this the meaning behind the word left left no room for translation.

For an entire weekend now and probably Monday as well he has dominated the news cycle in away that I have never seen done so deliberately by a non political or celebrity person.

The reason behind his behaviour is unknowable, unfathomable from friend and supporter of Obama.
            The man is not a fool. He knows all too well the damage being done, he knows this media culture and what he is feeding them.
            And even if he didn't know on the first day he certainly did on the 2nd and 3rd because everyone everywhere was telling him of the damage.

So why? you tell me why would he do it in such a merciless calculated way on the last week before 2 crucial primaries?

I will not speculate on his intentions, only examine his actions.

by notquitedelilah on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:50:11 AM PDT

•  Hell yes! (5+ / 0-)

More diaries like this please!  And let's get on McCain's tail NOW.  See that list of McCain scandals in the poll at 'Cheers and Jeers'?  There's the to-do list, folks.  How about a nice, juicy JedReport video on McCain right up there in the Recommended Diaries?  If we don't push back, then who will?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Ghandi

by Triscula on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:18:31 AM PDT

•  Veterans of the (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    anna

Dean campaign--remember when we were in the middle of "scream"fest and everyone was reassuring each other that it was just the mic and nobody would take that seriously...We're so often "right" and yet lose--I'm tired of it.

OK--take a deep breath--there are a few things to be done.

1. Decide whether or not this is serious or is going to be serious. The way the media operates, every candidate has several near death experiences. Whether it's the moment that kills a candidacy is really only seen in retrospect, as some people survive what should be candidacy killers, but others fall to things that seem insignificant. If I were running a campaign, I'd view everything as pretty serious, even if I didn't let on to the press about it. I'm starting to think this is serious.
    1. Separate your personal feelings from the feelings of most Americans. The latest poll showing that independents are now supporting Clinton over Obama after months of the opposite are NOT GOOD, even if only temporary. I would take something like that pretty seriously.
    1. Coalition? What coalition? The beauty of the Obama campaign is that he has essentially found 2 groups that on their own don't have enough votes or influence to win a nomination and put them together. But those groups don't have much in common except for--Obama. So if you say that Clinton is trying to drive a wedge--that is exactly right. So that is Obama's tightrope--to keep upscale white progressives, white political independents, AND African Americans rowing together through the Wright mess. And as a political matter, I do think Obama has to pretty much cut Wright loose--as publicly and severely as he did with Samantha Power. Wright may not have called Clinton a monster, and they have a longer history together, but I think it's the price Obama has to pay--part of the bargain he's making with moderate to conservative white voters. It may not be "right", but I'm starting to think it's a no brainer, politically.

Obama is a big stickler for rules and discipline--Wright going public right before a big primary and making impolitic comments is not disciplined--he may no longer be part of the campaign, but until Obama explicitly cuts him lose, he's still there like a lingering vapor. Heck, if I were the Obama camp, I'd start leaking stories about how Obama is personally fuming that this happened and had some heated conversations with Wright--even if this weren't actually true.

Barack Obama will only become president if enough people pay attention, so pay attention, dammit!

by JMS on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:31:26 AM PDT

•  interesting take (0+ / 0-)

hey good to see you old timer. ;^)

and oh yea, i remember being in the middle of the dean campaign.  unfortunately, we didn't have the tools to battle the scream smears like we do today.  we have much better tools, outlets to spread communications and responses, etc etc.  that's one of the reasons i'm frustrated here... we don't seem to be using them very effectively at the moment.

John Cornyn is an asshole with shoes. Support Rick Noriega!

by anna on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:33:53 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  we do have better tools (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        anna

although I'm not convinced that they are good enough to turn around something that's headed south anyway. I do think one problem here is that better  tools don't help much if we aren't all on the same message. And we've been a little slow on the uptake about what this all means. After all, there wasn't anything particularly offensive about Wright's appearance with Bill Moyers--I think it's specifically the Q&A that has caused the problem, NOT so much what Wright said 5 years ago, or what he said in other interviews.

So this part is on Obama and his campaign to set the message so that it can go out using our new tools. It's totally reasonable that he not denounce Wright for his past body of work. However, I do think it's pretty reasonable for Obama to be ticked off about what just happened, and to use that as a reason to disassociate himself with Wright going forward. Obama's theme has been that you get one chance to come along with the Obama program or risk being left behind. This can be framed that Wright had his chance and blew it.

by JMS on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:44:07 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I've always been convinced the Dean scream is (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      anna

not what did Howard Dean in.  It was the Democrat establishment that did Dean in.  That video did not change anyone's mind, Dean was a trail blazer and his ideas had not been fully developed.  The commentary is what did Dean in.  The media's commentary fed by the Democrat establishment.

•  this is obviously (0+ / 0-)

true and although we see it as "wrong", the end result was still that Dean not only lost, but became a laughingstock in some circles. Which is a shame because he is a very competent guy with the right ideas. But that is how things work.

So this is just a caution that just because we know something is right, if we can't control and change the message, it may not matter in the end.

by JMS on Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 07:45:59 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Divide black and white within Obama camp (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    anna

That's the strategy. African Americans will support Rev Wright. White supporters of Obama must not denounce or attack him.  Leave this alone! Attack McCain!

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site