As Friday August 15 dissolves into Saturday August 16th, you will note a ground breaking change of policy at Daily Kos. It is a startling reversal of policy. One is reminded of observing "glasnost" era Gorbachev's USSR.
Somehow it has become not only possible, but recommendable to suggest, without much convincing evidence that current US President George W Bush is "responsible for the Russian invasion" of Ossetia.
See a gnostic 's diary... or you couldn't have missed it anyway ?
I support a gnostic's right to post his diary.
But consider this.
Normally considered barely competent, President '43 is portrayed as capable of remotely controlling the armed forces of a foreign state widely thought to be governed by Vladimir Putin and a ventriloquist dummy by the name of Medvedyev. ( the y helps )
What does this embrace of unproven and unsubstantiated assaults on DKOS tradition mean ?
Jump below to consider the possibilites.
- Lame duckism: Where it was unwelcome to suggest that President W was part of a conspiracy to do bad things for much of his term, the sheer significance of being a lame duck was not fully appreciated. With only a few months to go and very low polling numbers it is NOW fair to find him responsible for events that would normally seem beyond his control.
- Right topic: Attempts to find President W engaged in conspiratorial activity are only celebrated and uprated if and when they avoid certain sacred cows. This would be especially important if those sacred cows had a team of monitors ready to pounce and suddenly care about the exact definition of a valid diary. And while oddly enough Cows are sacred they abuse and defame the entire category felinus with horrible images of animal abuse. They seem unaware of their confession to strange rituals, willingness to photograph their perversion, and most surprisingly, willingness to share the photographic evidence of their derangement. Today's diary, which finds President W guilty only of ordering Russian troops into Georgia is obvioulsy one of the "right" topics.
- Enlightenment: There is the outside possibility that readers and writers at DKOS suddenly remembered that the phrase "Conspiracy Theorist" has a very specific historical origin.
One either accepted the notion of the assassination of John F Kennedy was accomplished by a "lone deranged gunman". Lee Harvey Oswald was the only person investigated as a possible "lone deranged gunman."
Conspiracy Theorists, widely dismissed and derided, suggested that the Warren Commission came to the wrong conclusions, deliberately or by staff interference. It was never really the job of concerned observers and readers to provide "the better answer". It was fair enough to demand a better investigation by unimpeachably detached commissioners.
(Who would have guessed that JFK's "mysterious" murder would end up having such a ridiculously long list of plausible sources?)
There are some who are not at all happy with the results of the Kean-Hamilton Commission. Some might argue that it reached the wrong conclusion deliberately or by staff interference. One need not provide..in fact one should not propose alternative explanations .. here at DKOS. But they would be described, prior to tonight as "conspiracy theorists".
So which is it?
Can one accuse President George W Bush of causing Russia to invade Georgia over trumped up issues .. because of a electoral plan.. described on mainstream tv today ... to put McCainish world issues on the front burner...???? Am I actually seeing discussion of Rove-Saakashvili connivance? Can one suggest that WARS are triggered by backroom political machinations with sketchy evidence. Right here at DKOS?
I FIND THAT ODD AND FUNNY AND SAD:
I thought it would be important to go into this election cycle with TWO radical DEMOCRATIC GRASS ROOTS PARTY DEMANDS.
- A Full and thorough impartial grand jury investigation into ALL voting irregularities in 2000 and 2004. Combined with a clear directive to all scanning and touch screen voting machine companies and local and state election officials... " You are on notice. No tampering. All Records, Machines, Tabulators, are subject to observation anytime and anywhere by appointed scrutineers from both parties and an officer of the law. I thought that might be a useful way of knocking down CONSPIRACY THEORIES.
- An impartial and absolutely NON PARTISAN investigation of the events of 9/11. (Note: no alternative explanation is required or even permissible. That would be the task of the commission. ) But seeing as America has been dragged through the mud of two wars, international condemnation, breaches of international norms of law, twists of constitutionality and a national insecurity psychosis that just happened to match the agenda of the Project for a New American Century.. maybe the future...maybe that America that might be led by a President Obama .. might reach for answers that important.
( You and I may share the notion that whatever happened is GOING TO BE LEFT AS A MYSTERY...because we can't handle the truth. Because even if you are deeply offended by the tone and direction of this diary ...we know what "redacted" pages protect. And that will in the end be descriptive of the fatal flaw in the American Republic's descent into imperial and decadent decline.)
And so CONSPIRACY THEORISTS of 1964 - 2008 perhaps were wrong. But why wouldn't one suspect the worst given the eccentric biography of Lee Harvey Oswald. It's almost as bizarre as the biography of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee.
I live in a world where Bugliosi believes Oswald acted alone but George Bush should be on trial for murder.
I live in a world where Corsini slime believes Obama is likely both ISLAMIC and Leftist socialist ! And now I hear that he is a 9/11 inside job dude.
Neither of these recent revelations is comforting.
Truth is a nice idea. Sometimes we may even think we deserve it.
When it is denied, we will try to patch together explanations.
The Warren Commission was sloppy and compromised. It may or may not have reached a valid conclusion. Too late to investigate. We can just hope the answer is in the unreleased papers.
The Kean Hamilton Commission no longer satisfies the men whose name it bears. Phil Zelikow is / was the anti-thesis of an independent investigator.
We have learned of the power of foreign state lobbying in Washington.
TODAY it is valid to assume the worst about McCain's Georgian lobbyist-foreign policy advisor. You can make innuendos to that effect at DKOS or on MSNBC.
And while the 9/11 tragedy seems to impinge on the "privacy" of Saudi's, Pakistani's, Israeli's and Turks, until today, this could not be discussed here.
But if George W BUSH can be described here at DKOS as having been "RESPONSIBLE for South Ossetia Invasion" with little conclusive argument or evidence,
If such a diary gains sufficient approbation as to be rec'd into prominence...
If those same individuals who insist on valid diaries, and then express their contempt with self-revealing animal abuse and schoolyard bullying nonsense.. even claiming authority for Markos himself... find a gnostic's diary acceptable....?
then logically those same individuals have revealed themselves as a special interest group with a specific agenda unrelated to good discourse at DKOS.
I regret that the following two issues are NOT on the table for this election.
- Transparency and honesty in voting systems
- Re-opening the investigation of 9/11, given that Kean and Hamilton consider the Air Force testimony false, and that they considered pressing criminal charges.
These are the ravings of a Conspiracy Theorists?